Monday, March 30, 2020

"Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man" Introduction

Introduction

This post will serve as an introduction to a series I am writing titled "Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man" which is a fan series set in the 1960s. My next post will feature and be about the pilot episode "Great Power... Great Responsibility". I will also write a post for each episode that I plan on writing. I don't know if this project will ever get off the ground, but in the meantime, I am writing this series for fun.

History

I and Spider-Man go way back. I was first introduced to the character and his world through the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy as a young boy. This got me into reading the comics and watching The Spectacular Spider-Man television series. In my teens, I saw the Marc Webb Amazing Spider-Man duology and as an adult, I've seen the Marvel Cinematic Universe take on the webhead. I've also seen countless fan films on YouTube such as "Peter's Web" and the Six Side Studios fan films starring Mark Ricci.  

As a blossoming screenwriter, I've always wanted to write a Spider-Man film or series. I've been writing Spider-Man as long as I've been writing screenplays going as far back as the days I wrote screenplays out by hand with pencil and paper. 

Inspirations

As someone who's lived and breathed the wall-crawler since childhood and seen various media based around such a character, naturally, I'm going to take bits and pieces from everything I've seen. But what are my main inspirations? 

Since this series is set in the mid to late 60s with the 1st season being set in 1965, I'm basing the episodes on the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko era of the web-slinger before moving onto the Stan Lee/John Romita Sr. era. Another inspiration for this series was the fan film "Spider-Man: Cake Day" which is set in 1963.  For most of my history, I've been writing Spider-Man screenplays about a high school-aged Peter Parker in the present day where I retell the origin story. Knowing there were many other fan series and films out there just like I was writing I needed something to make it stand out. After seeing "Cake Day" I thought why not set it in the 60s and focus on a college-aged Peter like the Raimi Trilogy? The rest is history.  

Conclusion

As said earlier my next post will be about the pilot episode "Great Power... Great Responsibility" and discuss what I plan to do with the series. 

Thank you for reading my blog post. If you did read my teleplay, I hope you had as much fun reading as I did writing it. Feel free to leave your thoughts below

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on The Twilight Zone

Introduction Last year I wrote three teleplays in the style of a "Twilight Zone" episode when it was announced that Jordan Peele w...