Saturday, March 21, 2020

Turn Back the Hands of Time Draft 3

Introduction

This post is about the 3rd draft of my original screenplay "Turn Back the Hands of Time". I am excited to share what has changed since the 2nd draft and any changes I'd like to incorporate into a potential 4th draft.

Changes from Draft 2

Here is a rundown of the changes from the 2nd to the 3rd draft:
  • Amelia is more rebellious and sneaks out at night to go on a date with George just like in the 1st draft.
  • During their date, George describes to Amelia what 1957 is like.
  • The time machine changed in shape. In the previous drafts, it was shaped like a chamber. Now, it's shaped like a ship or a pod. I felt it fit better with the 1950s sci-fi aesthetic. Also, I was more inspired by the look of the time machines from "The Time Machine" (1960) and "Time After Time" (1979).
  • After being inspired by George, Victor and Amelia make amends with Frank and her parents respectively with the help of George.
  • I gave George two friends, Harv and Betty, in 1957. George's character arc is that he becomes less selfish and when all seems hopeless in terms of going back to 1957, he realizes how selfish he was to abandon his friends and family to go to 1927.

Changes for Draft 4

  • Make the 2nd Act longer. I was planning on aiming for around 120 pages for my 3rd Draft, but it looks like I'll have to settle for 90 pages. That's not bad since I hear that some screenplays are 90-110 pages long. With some tweaks, I can make my 4th Draft 120 pages which is the length of a typical screenplay. I'd like to make the 2nd Act longer since it ended on page 55 or 56 instead of page 90 as I had hoped.
  • Add in scenes of George trying to mend the relationship between Victor and Frank. This could add a lot of drama to the story, as well as, character development for George, Victor, and Frank. It would also help in making the 2nd Act longer with several scenes of George trying to fix the relationship of the two brothers only to separate them more and more. Then in the 3rd Act, the brothers finally put aside their differences and become friends again.
  • I will probably remove Harv and Betty from the script since I like it better for George to be a loner before he goes back in time because it fits better with his character arc. 

 Script

The link to read the PDF version of the script is below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/143ghWAKrC8GowuSTkpkmtpFqVkPprzCl/view?usp=sharing

Conclusion

Thank you for reading my blog post. If you did read my teleplay, I hope you had as much fun reading as I did writing it. Feel free to leave your thoughts below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on The Twilight Zone

Introduction Last year I wrote three teleplays in the style of a "Twilight Zone" episode when it was announced that Jordan Peele w...