Sunday, March 17, 2019

Introduction: My History as a Screenwriter

Introduction

Even though I chose a career in Building Automation and am currently in my final semester at George Brown College, I enjoy creative writing in my free time. More specifically screenwriting. When I was in Grade 6, my father had gotten me a book titled "Filmmaking for Teens" because I wanted to be a filmmaker. The book served as a bible for anybody who wanted to make a short film for the first time. They even had a chapter on screenwriting which of course included an excerpt from an actual script. This kind of blew me away at the time since a screenplay looks so much different than a book.

Anyway, skip forward to High School around late Grade 10 and early Grade 11 where online I found the 1st draft of "Back to the Future" and read it. Interesting read, go check it out. So, I wrote "Paradox" which basically was a BTTF clone but it teaches me how to format a screenplay at the very least. This script is lost to the sands of time because I actually hand wrote it. From High School to College I wrote more screenplays this time in Microsoft Word such as "Day and Night" which was again lost to the sands of time since my USB was infected with a virus. I also wrote two drafts of "The Mask" which was intended to make a film version of "The Mask" more in line with its violent comic book origins. I'll write another blog about that. Now, in College I believe I have really progressed as a writer thanks to learning from my past mistakes, using Word's screenplay template, as well as, online guides such as "Story Sense" and "Screenwriters for Hire" for formatting and pacing.

Here are links to Story Sense and Screenwriters below. My next blog will be about a Teleplay I wrote titled "Where Is Everybody?"

https://www.storysense.com/

https://screenwritersforhire.com/

Conclusion

Thank you for reading my blog post.  Feel free to leave your thoughts below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on The Twilight Zone

Introduction Last year I wrote three teleplays in the style of a "Twilight Zone" episode when it was announced that Jordan Peele w...